Mike Taulty's Blog
Bits and Bytes from Microsoft UK
Playing with Virtual Earth

Blogs

Mike Taulty's Blog

Elsewhere

Archives

I've been playing with Virtual Earth a little bit like most other people probably have over the last week or so since it was launched.

Note: This is just a sample application that I was playing with for my own fun. Take care to read the terms and conditions for the Virtual Earth service before you go making use of their content for any purpose beyond playing around with it for personal use.

I was interested that the programmability for Virtual Earth ( http://www.viavirtualearth.com ) seems to be largely aimed at people building Javascript applications in the browser. There's a library that you can reference from the website and then that gives you a "control" that you can embed in your browser applications.

Taking a different tack, I wanted to try and write some code that would let me make use of Virtual Earth from a Windows Forms application rather than just from a browser and so I had a little bit of an attempt at it. I've not spent a tonne of time on it as I started to realise that if I wanted to do it "properly" then it was going to consume a whole tonne of time. I might come back to it and revisit it at a later point.

This is my simple Windows Forms application;

 

 

It's hard coded to start at a particular latitude and longitude (the Statue of Liberty) and then all it's capable of doing is of zooming in and out (via the mouse wheel) and moving left and right (move the mouse near to an edge and then left button click to scroll) and it'll also switch between the Roadmap/Satellite/Combined view from the right mouse menu.

That's it. I'll probably find it useful to use for demonstration applications in the future. There's one or two "interesting" things in the way that I built it. The first is that it caches the tiles that come back from the Virtual Earth servers in a couple of places. The first is that it caches them in a local SQL Server 2005 database and it also further caches those in memory whilst the session is active.

The way in which it works is that the Windows Form requests a "Tile" of the image from an instance of an interface called ITileProvider which looks like this;

public interface ITileProvider
{
    IAsyncResult BeginGetTile(TileInfo tile, AsyncCallback asyncCallback, object asyncState);

    byte[] EndGetTile(IAsyncResult result);

    void ChainProvider(ITileProvider chainedProvider);

    ITileProvider NextProvider
    {
        get;
        set;
    }
    ITileProvider PrevProvider
    {
        get;
        set;
    }
}

The idea being that the Form doesn't know where these "Tiles" come from and I provide 3 locations where I get/store them - namely  in-memory, SQL Server 2005 and then the Virtual Earth web server.

Using the ChainProvider method we can build up a list of providers that are called in order. What I've implemented are three providers;

    HashtableCacheTileProvider -->  SqlTileProvider -->  HttpTileProvider

The HashtableCacheTileProvider and SqlTileProvider also implement a secondary interface called IPersistentTileProvider which looks like this;

 public interface IPersistentTileProvider : ITileProvider
{
    IAsyncResult BeginStoreTile(TileInfo tile, byte[] image, AsyncCallback asyncCallback,
        object asyncState);

    void EndStoreTile(IAsyncResult result);

}

and the SqlTileProvider and HttpTileProvider both implement this so that tiles that are ultimately returned from the Virtual Earth server will be stored in SQL Server and in-memory whilst the application is running.

Other than that, there's not too much that's of interest in the application but it could provide a basis for someone to take it a little further. There's a few things that I'd add to it if I was taking it further;

1) A layered pro-active caching service on the front of the existing cache so that when you ask for Tile X it also goes and grabs TileX-1, X+1 and so on and at other zoom levels and map types.

2) A set of classes to manage the various co-ordinate systems kicking around inside the application. The code needs re-organising to make that stuff simple by adding some extra classes.

3) Decent scrolling!

4) Some kind of proper Least-Recently-Used cache rather than the HashtableCacheProvider which, ultimately, uses a lot of memory.

5) Some kind of HTTP throttling rather than just letting all HTTP calls go straight into the asynchronous calls provided by HttpWebRequest.

That's all. The zip file (Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and SQL Server 2005) is here. In the project file there's a simple Windows Forms application, a class library and a script to run against SQL 2005 for the SQL table and the simple stored procs.

If you do take it further then drop me a mail and let me know - bear in mind to read those terms of use up at http://www.virtualearth.com


Posted Mon, Aug 1 2005 3:49 PM by mtaulty