WSE 2.0 Tracing Utility

With the release of the Web Services Enhancements 2.0 (go here http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse for a download) I thought I’d publish my efforts at providing a secondary tracing utility. WSE 2.0 has tracing facilities that can be switched on via the configuration file which traces messages to a text file but I wanted something that looked a little bit more like the SOAPTrace tool that shipped with he SOAP toolkit so that I can more easily use it for demos and so on.

So, I wrote something. I’m sure it has flaws but if it’s of use to other people then that’s great and I’ll share it here – the usual caveats apply around not being intended for any particular purpose and coming without warranty implied or explicit.

This http://mtaulty.com/downloads/WSE2_Tracing_V1.zip  is the URL for download – I’ve not included the source at this point but I can do that if someone’s keen to get it.

Essentially, what I wrote uses WSE2.0 SOAP messaging to trace WSE2.0 messaging (be that ASMX or SOAP messaging).

So, naturally, your messaging slows down a bit because whenever you send/receive a message if you’ve switched on tracing I then go and send a copy of your messages over the SOAP.TCP protocol to the tracing client.

The tracing client looks like this;

So, to work the client you use File->Start/Stop tracing to start the client listening for messages and then File->Clear to clear the traces captured and the tree view will display messages that it has traced going in or out of each process and application domain that you have configured tracing for. You can configure tracing to be for incoming or outgoing messages or both.

By default, the tracing client listens on soap.tcp://localhost:9999/SoapTracer. If, for some reason you don’t want this you can change it using the Tools->Options dialog box which looks like this;

And should allow you to pick a different endpoint to listen on for those trace messages.

That’s pretty much it for the tracing client – note that it’s actually persisting the XML to disk in order to use Internet Explorer to display the XML which is not very clever but was a quick “win” for me.

So, how do you configure your applications in order to get their WSE2.0 messages traced to the tracing client?

Essentially, you modify the configuration file for the application that you want tracing for. A sample configuration file is shipped within the MSI and looks like this (except the real file has more comments in it);

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>
    <section name="microsoft.web.services2" type="Microsoft.Web.Services2.Configuration.WebServicesConfiguration, Microsoft.Web.Services2, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <section name="WSETraceSettings" type="WSETracingConfig.ConfigHandler, WSETracingConfig, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79" />
  </configSections>

<WSETraceSettings xmlns='urn:wsetrace-mt-com'>
     <hostname>127.0.0.1</hostname>
     <port>9999</port>
     <endpoint>SoapTracer</endpoint>
  </WSETraceSettings>

<microsoft.web.services2>

<filters>
        <output>
            <add type="WSETracingFilter.WSEOutputFilter,WSETracingFilter, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
            <add type="WSEReorderPipelineFilter.WSETracingReorderOutputFilter, WSETracingReorderPipelineFilter, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
        </output>
        <input>
            <add type="WSETracingFilter.WSEInputFilter,WSETracingFilter, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
            <add type="WSEReorderPipelineFilter.WSETracingReorderInputFilter, WSETracingReorderPipelineFilter, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
        </input>
    </filters>
  </microsoft.web.services2>
</configuration>

So, the way that the tracing filter is implemented is as a filter for the WSE 2.0 pipeline so if you want tracing to occur you need to configure it into that pipeline. This is done through the;

<filters>
                <output>
                        <add>
        <filters>
                <input>
                        <add>

Elements that we have in the configuration file above. Note that you do not need to have both input and output tracing – it’s entirely up to you. Note that if you do want filtering then you have to include both add lines in each case (explanation to follow).

Note that the section within the

<WSETraceSettings>

element is entirely optional and is only necessary if you have changed the tracing tool (via Tools->Options) to listen on a new endpoint. If you have done that then you need to configure that endpoint here as well or the trace messages will not reach the tracing client. It’s important to note that if you do include this <WSETraceSettings> element then you also need to include the;

<configSections>
                <section name=”WSETraceSettings” …

in order that the <WSETraceSettings> section can be understood.

That’s pretty much it. I’m keen to take feedback and/or share the source with people if anyone wants it. Happy to fix bugs for people or rework it completely if someone spots a fundamental flaw.

Posted Tue, May 25 2004 8:20 AM by mtaulty

Comments

mtaulty wrote re: WSE 2.0 Tracing Utility
on Thu, May 27 2004 4:40 AM
This is cool. I rely heavily on tcpTrace, so it's nice to know that there's a tool out there that provides similar functionality for WSE 2.0.

Source would be cool to look at to if you care to provide it.
on Thu, May 27 2004 8:21 AM
I agree with Andrew. Right now I used a combo of tcpTrace and [when I'm delivering training] an XmlBeautifer tool I wrote. I saw BenjaminM using this at TechEd. I'd love to use it, but I'm not fond of the IE-like view of the messages. I'd prefer just text with control over the indentation level and font size. Any plans to release the source. Great post ... thanks.
on Tue, Jun 1 2004 9:43 AM
Mike,

Thanks for this utility - great work.

One minor feature request:

Provide a way to control the sequence of the Input Messages/Output Messages nodes. (For example, a context menu option on the AppDomain node.)

In the client tracing scenario, it is more natural to inspect Outgoing Messages first.

Thanks,
Martin
on Wed, Jun 9 2004 3:41 AM
Hey Mike...

Great looking util! Please let me know if you'll be able to post the source for it! I'm keen to see more!

Thanks
Stuart
on Thu, Jun 10 2004 3:27 PM
Hi Mike,
Great utility. Could you please publish source code?
I have encountered one problem when I'm tracing the soap envelopes that are digitally signed with X509 Certificate,
then traced messages are somehow corrupted. May be using XmlDocument.Save and formatting the xml breakes the message integrity. The same occures with WSE Trace Filter.
Only when I trace messages with SoapTrace I could reuse them for consequent sends.
Do you know what could be the cause for message corruption please?
Thank you.

on Fri, Jun 11 2004 12:45 AM
Hi Elena,

Could you let me have a repro of what you're doing with X509 Certs (minus the certs I guess) and I'll see if I can fix the problem.
on Fri, Jun 11 2004 7:23 AM
Hi Mike,

I have tried basic example - enabled policy to sign timestamp and message Id:
(The only visual difference with Soaptrace is that the whole xml in SoapTrace is printed in one line)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<policyDocument xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wse/2003/06/Policy">">http://schemas.microsoft.com/wse/2003/06/Policy">
<mappings xmlns:wse="https://schemas.microsoft.com/wse/2003/06/Policy">
<!--The following policy describes the policy requirements for the service: http://localhost/POCWS/CreditorLifeQuote.asmx .-->
<endpoint uri="http://localhost/POCWS/CreditorLifeQuote.asmx">
<defaultOperation>
<request policy="#Sign-X.509" />
<response policy="" />
<fault policy="" />
</defaultOperation>
</endpoint>
</mappings>
<policies xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd" xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2002/12/policy" xmlns:wssp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2002/12/secext" xmlns:wse="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wse/2003/06/Policy" xmlns:wsse="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd" xmlns:wsa="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/03/addressing">
<wsp:Policy wsu:Id="Sign-X.509">
<!--MessagePredicate is used to require headers. This assertion should be used along with the Integrity assertion when the presence of the signed element is required. NOTE: this assertion does not do anything for enforcement (send-side) policy.-->
<wsp:MessagePredicate wsp:Usage="wsp:Required" Dialect="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/2002/12/wsse#part" >wsp:Body() wsp:Header(wsa:MessageID) wse:Timestamp()</wsp:MessagePredicate>
<!--The Integrity assertion is used to ensure that the message is signed with X.509. Many Web services will also use the token for authorization, such as by using the <wse:Role> claim or specific X.509 claims.-->
<wssp:Integrity wsp:Usage="wsp:Required">
<wssp:TokenInfo>
<wssp:SecurityToken wse:IdentityToken="true">
<wssp:TokenType>http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-x509-token-profile-1.0#X509v3</wssp:TokenType>
<wssp:Claims>
<wssp:SubjectName MatchType="wssp:Exact">POCClient</wssp:SubjectName>
<wssp:X509Extension OID="2.5.29.14" MatchType="wssp:Exact">RZnlRgiisw2QrSjKAC+StjdwDkE=</wssp:X509Extension>
</wssp:Claims>
</wssp:SecurityToken>
</wssp:TokenInfo>
<wssp:MessageParts Dialect="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/2002/12/wsse#part"> wsp:Header(wsa:MessageID) wse:Timestamp()</wssp:MessageParts>
</wssp:Integrity>
</wsp:Policy>
</policies>
</policyDocument>

on Fri, Jun 11 2004 9:50 AM
Ok, one thing that's possibly happening here is that I was using an XmlTextWriter with its formatting set to Indented. I've re-posted with this removed. Not sure if it'll solve your problem but it didn't need to be there anyway (it was a hang-over from when I wasn't using IE to display the XML).

Hope that helps.
on Fri, Jun 11 2004 3:00 PM
Sorry Mike,
Where did you posted the update ??
the files in http://mtaulty.com/downloads/WSE2_Tracing_V1.zip
have been modified on June-2.

thanks
on Fri, Jun 11 2004 4:58 PM
Hi - not sure what you're seeing there but I see a date of 11th June for the zip file itself. I've just downloaded the zip, unzipped it, re-installed from it and used Reflector.exe on the binary and it looks to be correct.

Let me know if you've still got trouble.
on Mon, Jun 14 2004 9:30 AM
Thanks, it worked
on Mon, Aug 2 2004 12:15 AM
It works fine,Thanks
mtaulty wrote Does this work with DIME attachments by any chance?
on Thu, Aug 5 2004 10:30 PM
Does this work with DIME attachments?
on Thu, Aug 5 2004 11:11 PM
Your trace tool is way cool!
on Fri, Aug 6 2004 3:39 AM
No, I don't think that this will work properly with DIME attachments.

The trace tool just takes a copy of the entire SOAP envelope that's travelling from A->B and sends that entire SOAP envelope on to C which then displays it in a window.

The "problem" with DIME attachments is that they're not part of the SOAP envelope so that stuff isn't going to transfer across to C.

I'll try and take a look and see whether I can incorporate attachments and I'll post if I sort it out.

on Fri, Aug 6 2004 6:20 AM
Cool, thanks.
BTW, do you know if there's any way to get the IPAddress/Hostname of the client sending the SOAP request?
Routing...What if they have not set the Fromaddress...etc.
I was hoping to get my hands on the HTTP Header & get it that way. Sure it will only work with SOAP/HTTP, and not SOAP/TCP etc. but at least it'll work every time, regardless of client & routing settings!
on Fri, Aug 6 2004 8:06 PM
Sorry, after looking around in the background for 6 months or more, I found it 5 mins after that last post!!!
on Tue, Aug 17 2004 7:28 AM
I cant find the way to configure my trace util to work, can anyone help með about this
on Tue, Aug 17 2004 7:49 AM
Is there any possibility to write the messages to disk??
on Tue, Aug 17 2004 5:11 PM
I'll ask the newly formed ".net workspace" to see if they'll implement some kind of "recording to disk" capability.

To the chap called "question" - if you can't get this tool to work then mail me directly and we can try and fix it.
on Wed, Aug 25 2004 1:26 AM
Great tool! Any idea when you will release the source code?
on Wed, Aug 25 2004 3:32 PM
The source is available - you need to look at the GotDotNet community here http://mtaulty.com/blog/archive/2004/08/09/635.aspx
on Tue, Aug 31 2004 7:10 AM
Nice tracking tool =), i will get into the source code to see from inside =). keep going guys =)
on Tue, Aug 31 2004 7:20 AM
I want to explore the source !
on Tue, Aug 31 2004 11:25 AM
100% good works !
on Sat, Sep 4 2004 3:29 AM
Really nice work !!!, bookmark compulsary
on Sat, Sep 4 2004 1:21 PM
Is there any possibility to write the messages to disk??
on Sun, Sep 5 2004 5:36 AM
Good work, interesting, keep going !!
on Mon, Sep 6 2004 9:15 AM
It works fine,Thanks
on Thu, Sep 9 2004 7:31 AM
james vous salue
on Thu, Sep 9 2004 9:59 AM
Can't get it to work. Have no idea why, no tracing utility is picking up my calls to my WebService.
on Thu, Sep 9 2004 1:47 PM
did you read the faq ?
on Wed, Sep 15 2004 7:26 AM
Can't get it to work. Application keeps throwing an exception. It errors while reading the microsoft.web.services2 section from my app.config:

on Wed, Sep 15 2004 3:44 PM
The microsoft.web.services2 section belongs to WSE2 rather than my trace utility but it might be that there's a problem in the filter configuration.

My best guess? Load up the program in VS.NET and get the debugger to break when an exception is thrown. Then, see where the exception is being thrown from? What's the call-stack like? That's more likely to help you (maybe) than the exception message itself.
on Thu, Sep 30 2004 5:19 AM
Nice informations thanks a lot.
on Mon, Oct 4 2004 12:32 PM
Cool, it was exactly what i was looking for.
on Wed, Oct 27 2004 12:42 AM
Hi

I am not able to see any results in trace even after setting all things in web.config file.

I have webservice and its client on same m/c. I am have added configuration settings in both web.files i.e WebService and WebServiceClient.
But trace is not showing any thing.

Please help in setting this utility.

Makarand
on Thu, Oct 28 2004 12:06 AM
Hi Makarand,

If you want to mail me the config files that you're using for the client and the web service then I'll take a look.

on Thu, Oct 28 2004 12:16 AM
Mike

This is my Config setting file (web.config),

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<configSections>

<!-- This section is mandatory - you're using WSE and adding trace filters so you need this here -->

<!-- This section is optional - only necessary if you've changed the listening end point for the trace tool
<section name="WSETraceSettings" type="WSETracingConfig.ConfigHandler, WSETracingConfig, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79" />
-->

</configSections>

<!-- Mandatory, needed for WSE 2.0 and its input/output filters -->
<microsoft.web.services2>

<!-- Mandatory if you want any tracing -->
<filters>

<!-- Include if you want messages leaving the application to be traced -->
<output>
<add type="WSETracingFilter.WSEOutputFilter,WSETracingFilter, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
<add type="WSEReorderPipelineFilter.WSETracingReorderOutputFilter, WSETracingReorderPipelineFilter, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
</output>

<!-- Include if you want messages entering the application to be traced -->
<input>
<add type="WSETracingFilter.WSEInputFilter,WSETracingFilter, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
<add type="WSEReorderPipelineFilter.WSETracingReorderInputFilter, WSETracingReorderPipelineFilter, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=1c1f2f7177e1ff79"/>
</input>
</filters>
</microsoft.web.services2>
<system.web>

<!-- DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
Set compilation debug="true" to enable ASPX debugging. Otherwise, setting this value to
false will improve runtime performance of this application.
Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging symbols (.pdb information)
into the compiled page. Because this creates a larger file that executes
more slowly, you should set this value to true only when debugging and to
false at all other times. For more information, refer to the documentation about
debugging ASP.NET files.
-->
<compilation
defaultLanguage="c#"
debug="true"
/>

<!-- CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES
Set customErrors mode="On" or "RemoteOnly" to enable custom error messages, "Off" to disable.
Add <error> tags for each of the errors you want to handle.

"On" Always display custom (friendly) messages.
"Off" Always display detailed ASP.NET error information.
"RemoteOnly" Display custom (friendly) messages only to users not running
on the local Web server. This setting is recommended for security purposes, so
that you do not display application detail information to remote clients.
-->
<customErrors
mode="RemoteOnly"
/>

<!-- AUTHENTICATION
This section sets the authentication policies of the application. Possible modes are "Windows",
"Forms", "Passport" and "None"

"None" No authentication is performed.
"Windows" IIS performs authentication (Basic, Digest, or Integrated Windows) according to
its settings for the application. Anonymous access must be disabled in IIS.
"Forms" You provide a custom form (Web page) for users to enter their credentials, and then
you authenticate them in your application. A user credential token is stored in a cookie.
"Passport" Authentication is performed via a centralized authentication service provided
by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
-->
<authentication mode="Windows" />

<!-- AUTHORIZATION
This section sets the authorization policies of the application. You can allow or deny access
to application resources by user or role. Wildcards: "*" mean everyone, "?" means anonymous
(unauthenticated) users.
-->

<authorization>
<allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
<!-- <allow users="[comma separated list of users]"
roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
<deny users="[comma separated list of users]"
roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
-->
</authorization>

<!-- APPLICATION-LEVEL TRACE LOGGING
Application-level tracing enables trace log output for every page within an application.
Set trace enabled="true" to enable application trace logging. If pageOutput="true", the
trace information will be displayed at the bottom of each page. Otherwise, you can view the
application trace log by browsing the "trace.axd" page from your web application
root.
-->
<trace
enabled="true"
requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false"
traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="true"
/>

<!-- SESSION STATE SETTINGS
By default ASP.NET uses cookies to identify which requests belong to a particular session.
If cookies are not available, a session can be tracked by adding a session identifier to the URL.
To disable cookies, set sessionState cookieless="true".
-->
<sessionState
mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>

<!-- GLOBALIZATION
This section sets the globalization settings of the application.
-->
<globalization
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8"
/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Hope this will help you to help me out!

Makarand

on Sun, Oct 31 2004 11:25 AM
Hi Makarand,

I can't see any problems in your configuration files (they look to be a copy of the config files that I shipped) so the tracing utility should work here.

It's a while since I wrote this code but I've had a quick look at it - are you seeing anything in your event log? From looking at the code it should log in the event log if tracing isn't working.

Thanks,

on Tue, Nov 16 2004 11:12 AM
it works well thx you
mtaulty wrote rencontres
on Sun, Nov 21 2004 1:51 AM
I will use your trace tool thx!
mtaulty wrote Good tool!!!
on Mon, Dec 6 2004 4:46 AM
Hi Mike,

Great tool! Thanks for sharing it. However I have a minor problem with it. When using WSE SP2 it chokes on the microsoft.web.services2 config section. (With the error "An unhandled exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationException' occurred in microsoft.web.services2.dll Additional information: WSE032: There was an error loading the microsoft.web.services2 configuration section.") So I did some fiddling and narrowed the problem to the two WSEReorderPipelineFilter entries.

This (http://www.dotnettalk.net/WSE_SecurityTokenManager_in_GAC-6305127-1296-a.html) seems to suggest that the problem is with the strong name used. I tried Lutz Roeders Reflection tool to try and work out the strong names of these classes, but didn't get very far. Can you help?

Also, the tool is tracing the data I'm receiving back from the web-service, but isn't tracing my calls to the web-service. Is this normal?

Cheers, Steve
on Mon, Dec 6 2004 5:56 AM
Sounds like it's time to update for Sp2 of WSE2.0 - I'll update it and post "real soon now" :-)
on Fri, Dec 17 2004 10:03 PM
hi ,
its a great tool, i need it in my code. In my application i should use a listener for incoming messages. so can u plz send me that code its very urgent for plz ...

my e-mail id is :

phani_sirigala@yahoo.com
on Sat, Dec 18 2004 9:38 AM
Hi,

If you want access to the source code then just join the GotDotNet workspace up here;

(note: I haven't fixed the problem with WSE 2.0 Sp2!)

on Tue, Jan 4 2005 9:38 AM
Will this tool work when the webservice is setup on SSL?
on Tue, Jan 4 2005 10:32 AM
It should do - by the time the message reaches the filter that I use to do the tracing its past the SSL stage by quite a way.

It still doesn't work with Sp2 of WSE2.0 though - haven't gone back and tried to fix it I'm afraid.
on Thu, Jan 6 2005 11:26 AM
I hope you can fix it to work for WSE2.0 SP2.

Dead in the water right now.

Continue the good work....
on Sun, Jan 9 2005 5:13 PM
I have written a comparison between your Tracing Utility and Simon's Trace Tool here on my blog.

Excellent piece of Tracing Utility, Mike. Cannot wait for it to work with SP2 ;-)
on Mon, Jan 10 2005 3:43 AM
Ok, I've updated this to try and make it work for WSE2.0 SP2.

There's a post with details here;

on Mon, May 2 2005 11:23 AM
Has anyone tested it with SP3?
on Wed, Jun 22 2005 8:31 PM
what a nice site..i enjoy reading your posts!
on Wed, Jun 29 2005 7:53 PM
I hate ad
on Wed, Dec 28 2005 12:58 PM
I am using this trace utility for the first time and it works great when the trace utility, the web service, and the web service client are all on my local machine. However, I would like to trace the activity on the web service on my dev server using the trace utility on my local machine; the web service client could be anywhere. Is this possible with this tool?
on Wed, Dec 28 2005 4:03 PM
Hi Mark,

Yes, that is possible. On the remote machine you need to configure (using Tools->Options) the port number where the trace tool is listening.

On the machine that is generating the messages to be traced (whether client or server) you need to change the configuration file to redirect the trace output across to the machine where you are running the tracing tool.

There are examples in the configuration file shipped with the tool which show how to do this.

Hope that helps,

on Thu, Dec 29 2005 11:05 AM
Hi Mike,

This worked great!

Thanks for the help,

Mike
mtaulty wrote Help Tracing .NEt
on Fri, Feb 3 2006 3:19 AM
Hi, i would appreciate help on geting trace messages with the tracing tool. I have entered the config file which comes with the tool. Thanks in advan1ce for your help.
ps
I use vs 2003, and use the Google API web service.
mtaulty wrote More Help Tracing .Net
on Thu, Feb 9 2006 2:28 PM
I'm having no luck tracing SOAP messages, thus far. I suspected that the problem might be my own code, so I went ahead and tried it out with the code that accompanies the Google API, and when I call Google's Web Service, I still see nothing in the Tracing Utility.

I also am unclear as to whether this utility ever got upgraded to support WSE 2.0 SP2 (or SP3?) . . .

Thanks!
on Fri, Feb 10 2006 3:41 PM
Darryl,

Yes, the tool got updated to Service Pack 2 but I don't think I did an SP3 version but you could take the code and rebuild it.

The code lives here: http://mtaulty.com/blog/archive/2005/12/20/9027.aspx - that's for both WSE 2 and WSE 3.

The post around the original update to SP2 of WSE 2 is here http://mtaulty.com/blogarchive/2005/01/10/1321.aspx