I’ve been trying to fathom this out for quite a while now. Like an increasing number of people, I work quite a lot from home and I need good connectivity. Generally, my connectivity is better than the WiFi networks I use in most of the offices that I visit but, of course, I’d like more bandwidth than the 8-10mbps that my current service provides (I know, a lot of people in the UK don’t get 8-10mbps – you have my sympathy).

I get my broadband via BT at the moment and trying to figure out whether I can get more bandwidth via the regular phone line appears to be a never-ending loop.

I go to the BT Infinity website – http://www.bt.com/infinity. There’s a simple box where I can type in my phone number and the UI then tells me;

image

Ok – it’s fairly clear that I can’t have Infinity right now but I can follow the highlighted link to use the “Openreach postcode checker” to see when it might be available. So I go there (http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/) and type in my post-code and it tells me;

image

where A.O. means “Accepting Orders” – so my exchange is ready to go and this site then tells me that I can buy this now;

image

or, at least, that my exchange is “accepting orders” but the reality is that my property isn’t enabled. However, I follow the “At Home” link;

image

and so I tap on the “BT” website link which leads me to a page where I can;

image

and that leads me back to where I started;

image

and now I’m into an infinite loop where there’s no more detail available than “Not Available” which seems a bit minimal Sad smile

That said, I did contact BT about this a few weeks ago. First, I phoned them up and they told me “we don’t have any more information” and then I asked them on Twitter;

image

and I did fill in the form that BT asked me to complete but, unfortunately, I never seemed to get any mails back from them Sad smile

I’m not sure why the rollout of fast broadband has to be this kind of closely guarded secret – it seems that there must be a schedule somewhere and publishing it would be a matter of a few mouse clicks so why the cloak-and-dagger when it comes to finding out what’s happening with fast (phone line) broadband in a particular area?

Posted Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:20 AM by mtaulty
Filed under:

Comments

Ollie wrote re: while (true) { CheckBTInfinityIsAvailableYet(); } /* Infinite Loop of BT Infinity Availability */
on Thu, Apr 24 2014 11:18 AM

I hadn't realised the internet had arrived to rural areas like Manchester, next you'll be wanting the trains to run on time, you do have trains don't you?

Anonymous wrote re: while (true) { CheckBTInfinityIsAvailableYet(); } /* Infinite Loop of BT Infinity Availability */
on Thu, Apr 24 2014 12:57 PM

dude, use the following checker:

Richard Howells wrote re: while (true) { CheckBTInfinityIsAvailableYet(); } /* Infinite Loop of BT Infinity Availability */
on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:07 PM

It's a secret because if they published a date, customers might complain when (sic!) they miss it.

In our area we are supposed to be able to order fibre from spring/summer.  Again, just like you, it's a secret.  I heard a rumour recently that the EU didn't like the way all the gov cash was going to one supplier (BT).  If the cash is turned off - then there won't be any fibre.

Graham Bloice wrote re: while (true) { CheckBTInfinityIsAvailableYet(); } /* Infinite Loop of BT Infinity Availability */
on Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:57 PM

You're probably stuffed, BT have evaluated the economics of upgrading your street cabinet and ruled it out.

At my office, on a "Science Park", we get 4Mbs/440kbs ADSL, but the cabinet hasn't been upgraded for fttc and apparently won't be. Other offices 200m away have had their cabinet upgraded.

Our only option appears to be Fibre Ethernet to the premises at £550 a month for 4Mbs symmetrical. Furious.

Graham Wright wrote re: while (true) { CheckBTInfinityIsAvailableYet(); } /* Infinite Loop of BT Infinity Availability */
on Fri, Apr 25 2014 8:55 PM

I live 500 meters from an exchange that has been upgraded but I will never be able to get a  fibre optic becuse I am linked directly to the exchange and not via a cabinet. I was in a similar loop trying to work out why the availablity check failed until I found this out. Again BT have decided its not economic to upgrade these lines (of which there are a signifcant numbe rin London)