DDD North–Sunderland, 8th October

I spent most of the day up at the first DDD North event in Sunderland yesterday and had a really good time – major congratulations to the guys that organised the event and thanks to speakers, sponsors, helpers and delegates who all devoted their time to making it such a big success.

I hope (and I’m sure) that more will follow Smile

I took a few photos while I was there – some are a bit blurry as I took my old camera and I’d forgotten how to use it and also I didn’t want the flash going off in various places. Anyway, I put them onto SkyDrive linked from below.

image

and then a proper ( and non blurry! ) photostream from martin_88 showed up on FlickR;

image

and another one from geek_cranialstrain;

image

and more from Craig Murphy;

image

I’d also like to thank people who came along to my talk on the Reactive Extensions for .NET – this was a rewritten version of a similar talk that I’ve given in the past and my intention is to capture the talk as I delivered it and drop it onto my website here in a day or two.

I had a lot of fun with it. Being a Saturday, I dropped all slides ( people who know me will know I usually use a few slides for pictures where I think they can add a lot of value ) and just spent an hour in Visual Studio writing some bits of code to try and illustrate the topic. We moved pretty quickly and covered a lot of ground in an hour and for the first time in my life I managed to finish a talk with “That’s all folks!” Winking smile

I hope to see you at the next one!

Posted Sun, Oct 9 2011 11:40 AM by mtaulty
Filed under:

Comments

Peter "Shawty" Shaw wrote re: DDD North–Sunderland, 8th October
on Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:14 PM

Mike, it was a fantastic talk.  I really appreciated the pure code focused way you did things, and you've definately gotten me fired up about RX.

I'm sitting here this sunday morning after the event, having a look to see what I can do with RX.

I can't wait until you get the video screen-cast on-line

Grahame Horner wrote re: DDD North–Sunderland, 8th October
on Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:57 PM

Mike, many thanks for your talk on reactive extensions for .net it was a real eye opener for me. My first task on Monday is to try and develop some asynchronous code that will monitor a database tablet turning inserts/updates into a stream from rx =D

thanx again great talk, and the "that's all folks!" was a good ending :)

hope to see you again at other dddnorth events

Grahame aka 6'10"

Mike Taulty's Blog wrote “Reactive Extensions for .NET” talk from DDD North
on Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:06 PM

Following up on that previous post about the DDD North event here’s the screen-captured version of my

DavidTNcl wrote re: DDD North–Sunderland, 8th October
on Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:24 AM

I had the strong urge to shout "Monad!" at one point. Cats & Dogs living with each other and Haskell makes it mainstream from Microsoft.

Great talk by the way.

mtaulty wrote re: DDD North–Sunderland, 8th October
on Tue, Oct 11 2011 9:13 AM

DavidTNcl,

Absolutely - and you can go geek out on that kind of thing over at Channel9 ;-)

channel9.msdn.com/.../Expert-to-Expert-Brian-Beckman-and-Erik-Meijer-Inside-the-NET-Reactive-Framework-Rx