IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics

Yesterday, I was doing a little work with Silverlight and I’ve got this little sample that I’m working on;

image

and one of the things that it does it talk XML or JSON to a back-end service depending on the value of the ComboBox up in the top right hand area.

I wanted to do a little diagnosing around this and, usually, I turn to Fiddler for this kind of diagnostic work but I’m running the IE9 RTM (download) and so I thought I’d use the network capture in there rather than rely on Fiddler. With a quick F12, I’m up and running;

image

and then I can exercise the Silverlight application a little and see the results of my HTTP GET and POST;

image

and zoom in to the detail view and see the JSON data coming back;

image

along with headers, etc…

image

and it’s all cool and quick to get going and you might even notice that it’s working for traffic to localhost which is something that I think Fiddler finds a bit tricky (although if I remember correctly, there’s workarounds here).

That said, this traffic was all carried by Silverlight’s browser HTTP stack which gets traced here by IE. If I switch to using Silverlight’s client HTTP stack then I don’t think IE (as you’d expect) has any visibility of that traffic and so it’s back to Fiddler at that point… Smile

Posted Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:29 AM by mtaulty
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

Marc wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Thu, Mar 24 2011 4:59 PM

This has been available since IE8, but I still prefer Firebug, especially for inspecting Json results.

Steve wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:33 PM

Very nice - thanks Mike

This is something I've been waiting for ... a long time  :)

Bart Czernicki wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:28 PM

Nice feature, but I will stick to Fiddler...pretty much all the applications I have written in the last 1.5+ years use the client stack of Silverlight for the RESTful service benefits.

Chris Ballard wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:59 PM

Nice tip Mike, should save a few mouse clicks for those of us using IE.

Not sure about that UI colour scheme though ;)

Iuri wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Tue, Mar 29 2011 3:35 PM

Hi Mike,

will you available this sample for download?

mtaulty wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:33 PM

Marc,

Interesting - I thought the network trace feature came in new with IE9 but I may well have got my IE versions mixed up.

MSDN has it logged against IE9

msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg130952(v=VS.85).aspx

and searching the web for "IE9 network capture" gives me a tonne of results whereas searching the web for "IE8 network capture" gives me nothing.

But I could be wrong - I haven't got a version of IE8 to test against here but if the network capture dialog is in both IE8 and IE9 then that's only goodness :-)

ML wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:56 PM

Is there any way to capture silverlight client HTTPS stack traffic (secure web service calls) in IE9 or Fiddler? Since it's encrypted traffic, I guess it has to be traced inside Silverlight, right? Is it even possible?

MSDN UK Team blog wrote MSDN Flash feature article: IE9 Developer tools
on Wed, Apr 6 2011 1:34 PM

Trying to understand why your webpage is rendering incorrectly or throwing an error can be difficult

Pete wrote re: IE9 and Network Capture for Diagnostics
on Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:04 PM

www.fiddler2.com/.../httpsdecryption.asp has info on capturing HTTPS traffic in Fiddler.