Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )

Back in the old days, I used to do a lot more in-person talks/sessions for developers and one of the things that myself and colleagues would discuss is whether a topic was well developed enough to warrant a;

What Is?

session or a;

What’s New With?

session.

That is – was the technology new enough that people still needed to start from scratch or was it well enough advanced that you bore most people by explaining the core concepts yet again by doing what I’ve heard described as a;

First the Earth cooled…”

kind of session.

The reality of turning up at a company or a user group or a conference is that it’s rare that someone gives you time to do both an introduction to the basics alongside coverage of recent additions to a technology. If you decide to try and do both in the space of the 45,60,75,90 minute slot that someone’s given you then you invariably end up talking at a very high level and the attendees feel that you’ve cheated them in some way by only managing to say “IIS is a web server and there’s some new features in the latest version” if IIS happened to be the topic.

Anyway, enough rambling – the point of this post is to say that I think that Silverlight has gone from a “What Is?” status to a “What’s New With?” status.

Silverlight has become “a world” :-) Note – I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, it’s not at all but;

• When Silverlight 1.0 arrived, I went out and delivered developer sessions called “What’s Silverlight?” and that was easy enough although I had to scratch myself from time to time when I tried to write Javascript as it’s a foreign language to me.
  • When Silverlight 2.0 arrived, I did the same and it was a much bigger landscape but it was still manageable.
  • Along came version 3.0 and I did the same thing but it was getting to be a big topic to talk about “start to finish” in less than (say) 2 hours.

With Silverlight 4 being out in the wilds in beta form, I think it’s increasingly difficult to go from nowhere to version 4.0 in a short period of time whilst managing to get any depth into the discussion and it’s not purely about what Microsoft ships as Silverlight. There’s also things like;

• Blend
  • SketchFlow
  • The Toolkit
  • Various patterns & frameworks that people are using.

I’ve just spent a few hours consolidating my “What Is Silverlight?” slide-deck to try and update it for Silverlight 4 and also to flesh it out a little with a few more details in some places and in order to be a little more complete in others. This meant bringing in various other info that I’ve shared before ( one, two, three, four & five ).

I ended up with 77 slides :-)

Now, whilst I don’t share some people’s “slides are evil” viewpoint, I usually avoid having way too many slides on a topic or slides that have much more than a diagram and a bit of text on them.

So, having put together my 77 slides on Silverlight, I’m not sure that I’ll ever deliver them to anybody :-) I think the phrase “death by PowerPoint” might go from being a joke to a reality if I tried to get people to sit through this slide-deck.

So, I thought I’d share it here. Feel free to borrow slides from my slide-deck (or other slide-decks that I’ve made) if they are of use to you in explaining Silverlight to someone. Equally, feel free to point out mistakes in the slides by mailing/commenting as I’ll certainly use some/all of them in different talks in the future so having my mistakes fixed would be a definite win for me :-)

I tried to make this particular set of slides a little more “explorable” by putting them into a DeepZoom image as below but be aware that some of the slides have animations and I haven’t “flattened” out the animations in the DeepZoom so that makes some of the slides look a bit odd but here’s the player that DeepZoom Composer emitted for me;

Get Microsoft Silverlight

so it might be better to download the full file and press F5 and do it that way. The PPTX file ( wrapped in a ZIP to keep my webserver happy ) is available for download. ( warning – it’s enormous! )

Either way, enjoy :-)

Oh, and I already know I missed out accessibility.

and I just realised there’s the Silverlight Media Framework.

See what I mean?

Posted Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:24 AM by mtaulty
Filed under: ,

Comments

James Stanley wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:25 AM

This is a great resource for bringing new developers into a Silverlight shop that don't have previous experience with it. Thanks!

uberVU - social comments wrote Social comments and analytics for this post
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:03 AM

This post was mentioned on Twitter by mangihutasianti: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) ) http://goo.gl/fb/5SnQ http://br.st/2cf #net #silverlight

Afzal wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:38 AM

Very informative intro. thanks for it.

Richard wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 11:56 AM

WOW - very nice Mike!!!

Piotr Siódmak wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:47 PM

A "next slide" or navigation panel wouldn't hurt that much

Adam wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Mon, Jan 18 2010 4:32 PM

Great slide set Mike,

I'll have a thorough look through after hours and pass on any feedback.

Cheers

Adam

joongs14's me2DAY wrote 중스의 생각
on Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:31 AM

77장의 DeepZoom으로 표현한 Silverlight 이건 정말 와우!

Mike wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Tue, Jan 19 2010 5:04 AM

Hi Piotr,

No, I agree but my intention was that people would download the PowerPoint. The viewer up there can't handle animation & I have a bunch of animations in the PPT.

John Papa wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:15 AM

Nice work Mike. Now, let's try to do this in a mini session of say, 25 minutes! That would kep people on the edge of their seats as you talk a million words a minute :-)

Seriously, great deck!

shankar wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:32 PM

Great Job Mike for a Novice.

Possibly the aliteration stopped you from addressing topics related to  keyboard access(animation: dancing on it), Elevated Trust of Client hardware access, Navigation framework etc.

Cheers

ASP.NET Français Blogs wrote A bookmarker: Excellente présentation Silverlight en 77 slides et en Anglais
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:18 AM

Trouvé sur le blog d’un de mes collègues de Microsoft UK, Mike Taulty, cette excellente présentation

Marc: My Words wrote Ah, Seventy Seven Silverlight Slides
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 6:39 AM

Ah, Seventy Seven Silverlight Slides

Aseem Kishore wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 11:48 AM

Hey Mike,

I'm on the Seadragon team (we're responsible for the Deep Zoom feature in Silverlight), and I just wanted to give a big thumbs-up to your presentation here. I really like the way you organized the slides and topics in a meaningful and semantic way. I agree with Piotr that having a "next/prev" metaphor (e.g. buttons) to create an automated slideshow that smoothly transitions between slides and topics would be hugely helpful, but this is great inspiration nonetheless. Thanks!

Aseem

mtaulty wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:38 PM

Shankar,

Yes, you're right - there's nothing specific in there about keyboard or mouse access.

Elevated Trust of Client? This is on slides 23, 62, 63, 65 and 66. It's not a separate topic for me - it's pervasive.

Navigation Framework? Slide 51.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hardware access".

Oh and animation is in there in the sense that I talk about Storyboard->Animations->EasingFunctions and I mention in the properties section that animations need dependency properties.

mtaulty wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:39 PM

Hi Asseem,

Thanks for the feedback - I agree, I could make a much better DeepZoom presentation here but my hope was really to get people to download the slides.

Mike wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:44 PM

John - thanks for feedback.

The shortest version would be slides 3,4,5 and just a bunch of demos showing all the apps out there. So many apps from Bing Maps to Sobees to Playboy to Smooth Streaming and on and on.

Next shortest version might be the old version I have on SlideShare (www.slideshare.net/.../what-is-silverlight).

Juan Blanco wrote re: Silverlight in Seventy Seven Slides ( yes, I know ;-) )
on Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:16 AM

Thanks Mike you are as always in time for my needs!!! Best presentation ever... as fluid as your real demos...

NEBytes wrote Thoughts from the Launch