Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9

In talking to UK customers about building business applications with Silverlight I often mention Prism or “Composite Application Guidance” that comes from the Patterns and Practices team and I’ve met a few people who either haven’t heard of Prism or have found it a bit hard to get into and so have put it to one side to look at “later”.

I thought I’d take a wander around Prism myself and as part of doing that I put together a bunch of screencasts that I’ve just published to Channel 9 which take a look at a few of the Prism topics like;

• Dependency Injection
  • Unity
  • Modularity
  • Shells, Regions, Views
  • Commands
  • Event Aggregation

and I also put together a longer screencast that tries to walk through building a simple Silverlight “email client” using the ideas contained in the other screencasts.

I’ve published 10 videos to Channel 9 – the starting point is the big picture below which links to video 1;

image

and then the videos should all be cross-linked or you can jump to them using the hyperlinks below;

Enjoy.

Posted Tue, Oct 27 2009 4:39 AM by mtaulty
Filed under: , ,

Comments

uberVU - social comments wrote Social comments and analytics for this post
on Tue, Oct 27 2009 7:15 AM

This post was mentioned on Twitter by marcholmes: Crikey... RT @mtaulty: Published screencasts on Prism and Silverlight http://tinyurl.com/yzqvkr9

DotNetBurner - Silverlight wrote Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Tue, Oct 27 2009 5:18 PM

DotNetBurner - burning hot .net content

Community Blogs wrote Silverlight Cream for October 27, 2009 - 2 -- #718
on Tue, Oct 27 2009 9:55 PM

In this Issue: Mark Tucker , Pete Brown , The Silverlight Blog , Katrien De Graeve , Gavin Wignall ,

Francois Korb wrote re: Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Wed, Oct 28 2009 12:13 PM

Outstanding job Mike. Watching the series, I really enjoyed the incremental introduction of concepts and then the  clear and effective implementations leading up to the EmalClient application. You have a talent for this, please do a few more.

I'm sure you get a lot of suggestions for more videos and here's mine: how about adding WPF to the EmailClient application?

Andrzej wrote re: Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:14 AM

Hi Mike,

Two question:

1. How integrate eMail Client with digital certificate for signing e-mails? Users uses eToken device with certificates.

2. How integrate this solution with MOSS 2007 in Web Application?

Thanks, Andrzej

mtaulty wrote re: Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Sun, Nov 8 2009 10:27 AM

Hi,

Thanks for feedback - agree that a WPF version would be a good thing to add. I think the certificate stuff and MOSS is a bit out of scope here as I wasn't actually building an email client and don't build one in the video.

Mike Taulty's Blog wrote Silverlight 4 Rough Notes: Commanding
on Wed, Nov 18 2009 12:00 PM

Note – these posts are put together after a short time with Silverlight 4 as a way of providing pointers

James Hughes wrote re: Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:59 AM

Love the series but I have an off topic question.  Why do you wrap all your return statements in brackets e.g. return (null)?

Is this a personal habit or does it have some signifigance?

Umair wrote re: Prism and Silverlight Screencasts on Channel 9
on Thu, Dec 17 2009 3:53 PM

Great series Mike .. I would love to see how you could evolve the example app and discuss about using MEF along with PRISM in Silverlight. On a different note, after watching the series, we are convinced to use PRISM in our application. We are facing some challenges on issues such as how to divide requirements into modules and how to utitlize WCF RIA services framework authorization, navigation etc. with PRISM

Mike Taulty's Blog wrote Experimenting with PRISM 4, Silverlight, MEF
on Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:06 PM

In the past I’ve made some screencast videos around PRISM or “Composite Application Guidance” for Silverlight

Mike Taulty's Blog wrote UK TechDays Virtual Client Conference–Resources
on Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:29 PM

At the UK TechDays online conference last week there were a number of sessions around Silverlight and

youngmoony wrote Useful Links 404